WWW-VL SPANISH CONTEMPORARY HISTORY INDEX
Will be added in the future:
[The Six-Years Democratic (1868-1874) Period and the First Republic (1873-1874) -The Restauration (1874-1902) - The Spanish-American War (1898) - The reign of Alfonso XIII, the Crisis of the Restauration and Primo de Rivera's Dictatorship (1902-1931) - The Second Republic (1931-1936) - -Franco's Dictatorship (1939-1975) -The transition to Democracy (1975-1982) - Democratic Spain from the Transition till Nowadays (1982-2007) -Spain in the European Communities (1986-2007) ]
Spanish-American War (1898)
- Centennial of the War of 1898. Available at: http://www2.alcala.es/1898/ Abstract: This page is dedicated exclusively to the Centennial of the War of 1898. Here you will find an exhaustive bibliography of the war, a timeline of events relating to the war and a calendar of activities relating to 1898. We would like this web to be of use as a reference to those interested in diverse aspects of the War of 1898.
- The Diary of John Henry Asendorf . Available at: http://www.solarstop.net/asendorf/diary/diaryhome.html E-mail: email@example.com Abstract: The Story of a Pennsylvania Volunteer During the Philippine Insurrection (1898 - 1899).
- Memorial to the Senate of the United States , by Felipe Agoncillo. Available at: http://www.boondocksnet.com/ailtexts/fa_013099.html Abstract: Memorial to the Senate of the United States. Accompanying letter to the Secretary of State, of date January 30, 1899 by Felipe Agoncillo
- Memorial to the United States Senate with Respect to the Spanish Treaty . Available at: http://www.boondocksnet.com/ailtexts/ad013099.html Abstract: Memorial to the United States Senate with Respect to the Spanish Treaty (January 30, 1899).
- The Spanish-American War . Available at: http://www.boondocksnet.com/centennial/spanam.html Abstract: An excellent gateway to the Spanish-American War
- Spanish Civil War History . Available at: http://www.pitzer.edu/~dward/Anarchist_Archives/spancivwar/spancivwarhis.html Abstract: Gateway for Spanish Civil War sites
- Spanish Constitution . Available at: http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/law/sp__indx.html
- The CEHME (Centro de Estudios Historicos de la Masoneria Española). Available at: http://porky.uc3m.es/~nogales/MAS/cehmeind.html E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The War with Spain 1898 . Available at: http://www2.army.mil/cmh-pg/documents/spanam/wws.htm Abstract: articles, images, and documents at the U.S. Army Center for Military History
- New York Public Library. Spanish-American War : Research Guide. Available at: http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/grd/resguides/spanamerwar/index.html E-mail: email@example.com Abstract: Excellent bibliography regarding the Spanish-American War
- Ohio State University . William McKinley and the Spanish-American War. Available at: http://www.cohums.ohio-state.edu/history/projects/McKinley/SpanAmWar.htm E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patrick Mc Sherry. Spanish American War . Available at: http://www.spanam.simplenet.com/ E-mail: email@example.com Me262@netscape.net
- The Conquest of the United States by Spain, by William Graham Sumner . Available at: http://www.boondocksnet.com/ailtexts/wgsumner.html Abstract: Lecture delievered before the Phi Beta Kappa Society of Yale University, Jan. 16, 1899, and published in the Yale Law Journal (Jan. 1899). War and Other Essays (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1911).
- The Treason Act of 190 1. Available at: http://www.boondocksnet.com/sctexts/treason_act.html
- Treaty of Peace Between the U.S. and Spain December 10, 1898 . Available at: http://www.boondocksnet.com/sctexts/paristre.html Abstract: Text of the treaty that formally closed the Spanish-American War, ceded Puerto Rico, Guam and the Philippines to the United States, and placed Cuba under U.S. control
- The Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures. "Motion pictures of the Spanish-American War and the Philippine Insurrection produced between 1898 and 1901 are featured in this presentation, released to coincide with the centennial of the sinking of the battleship U.S.S. Maine. The complete collection will include 68 motion pictures and a selection of sound recordings related to the war; 53 motion pictures are included in this first release. The Spanish-American War was the first U.S. war in which the motion picture camera played a role". Library of Congress.
- Luis M. Iriarte. 1898 La Guerra Hispano Americana en Puerto Rico - 1898 The Spanish American War in Puerto Rico . Available at: http://home.coqui.net/sarrasin/ You can also go directly to the Index .
- El Noventa y Ocho Page of the Comitee for the Centenary of the 1898 events. Universidad de Puerto Rico, Recinto de Río Piedras.
- 1898: Centenario de la guerra de Cuba. Or Centennial of the War of 1898 . This page is dedicated exclusively to the 1898 centennial. Information about bibliography, chronology, and scientific activities (conferences, exhibitions, etc.). A proyect of the Centro de Estudios Norteamericanos de la Univeridad de Alcalá , Madrid (Spain) in co-operation with the USIA (United States Information Agency).
- La Cuestión de Cuba The Question of Cuba by Javier Rubio, historian.
- 1898 archives by thread . Archives of a discussion list about the 1598 events.
- The 98 . Pages dedicated by the Spanish embassy in Yugoslavia to the 1898 centenary.
- Remember the Maine . Starting point of a group of three pages dedicated to US expansion and imperialism over former Spanish colonies in the Caribe and the Pacific. Information and graphic material from the American side.
- Spanish American War Home Page Analysis of the 1898 event from a militar point of view. It provides graphic material and links.
- Treaty of Peace Between the U.S. and Spain Tetx of the Peace of París (1898). The treaty ended up the hostilities between the USA and Spain.
- Congress the meanings of 98 Congress organised by the University Complutense, Madrid (Spain) between the 21-22-23 of October 1998.
- Effects of the Press on Spanish-American Relations in 1898 by John Baker
- Spanish-American War (1898) :Links from Information Resource Centre, Canadian Forces College, Department of National Defence (Canada).
- The Spanish Civil War (1936-1939)
- AnarchaFeminism (Anarchist Feminism) - Anarchism and Womens liberation page. Available at: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/2159/anrfem.html E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anarchism in the Spanish Revolution of 1936 - Spanish Civil War. Available at: http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/spaindx.html E-mail: email@example.com Abstract: The role of anarchism in the Spanish Revolution or Spanish Civil War of 1936 is too often absent from histories of this struggle against fascism. Alongside the war millions of workers collectivized the land and took over industry to pursue their vision of a new society. This page tells their story and the story of those who fought alongside them.
- Buenventura Durruti . Available at: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2724/ws52_durruti.html Abstract: Biography
- Sam Dolgoff. "Controversy: Anarchists in the Spanish Revolution" . Available at: http://www.tigerden.com/%7Eberios/dolgoff-controv.html Abstract: In 1974, or early 1975, I reviewed in the English anarchist paper Freedom a book by Carlos Semprun Maura, Revolution and Counter-Revolution in Catalonia (French edition). In my review I criticized both Semprun Maura and Vernon Richards' book Lessons of the Spanish Revolution for presenting a distorted, over-simplified interpretation of events- a scenario. This provoked a heated rejoinder from Richards (three or four articles in Freedom).
- Open letter to Spanish Anarchists . Available at: http://www.spunk.org/library/writers/makhno/sp001781/chap17.html Abstract: Part of the book (Chapter 17) The struggle against the state and other essays by Nestor Maknno
- On the history of the Spanish revolution of 1931- and the part played by the left- nad right-wing socialists and anarchists . Available at: http://www.spunk.org/library/writers/makhno/sp001781/chap18.html Abstract: Part of the book (Chapter 18) The struggle against the state and other essays by Nestor Maknno
- USF - Lib - Spccoll - Spanish Civil War Oral History Project . Available at: http://www.lib.usf.edu/spccoll/guide/s/spncwohp/guide.html E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Abstract: The collection consists of photos and memorabilia concerning the Spanish Civil War, including an original flag of the Republic of Spain prior to the war. The Spanish Civil War Oral History Project is an ongoing project designed to document the response of the Tampa Spanish immigrant community to the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). The project is partially funded by grants from the Program for Cultural Cooperation between Spains Ministry of Culture and United States' Universities, and from the Florida Humanities Council
- LA GUERRA CIVIL ESPAÑOLA-THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR Site in Spanish about the Spanish Civil War by M. Sanromà, Universiy Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona (Spain). A good starting point.
- The Spanish Civil War : part of the anarquist archive by Dana Ward
- Spanish Civil War Posters , Brandeis University (USA)
- The Spanish Revolution & Civil War: by Eugene W. Plawiuk.
- Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives
- Abraham Lincoln Brigade Veterans
- Amis des Combattants de l'Espagne Republicane
- Drawings of School Children from the Spanish Civil War , UCSD's Mandeville Special Collections Library (USA).
- Posters of the Spanish Civil War . Colection of 25 posters of the Spanish Civil War at the University of California State UCSD (USA)
- Asociació de amigos de las Brigadas Internacionales (AABI) (Association of the Friends of the International Brigades
- Brandeis University Libraries Spanish Civil War Collection
- VALB West Coast Post Site
- Campos de Concentración Franquistas. E-mail: email@example.com
- Yale Russian Archive Project
- Buenaventura Durruti, Libertarian Communist Militant of Spain
- The Lincoln Brigade and its participation in the Spanish Civil War.
Abstract: Brief information and bibliography.
- The International Brigades
Abstract: Page devoted to the International Brigades. Information and links.
- Background on the Civil War
- Warships of the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstract: Since the fall of General Primo de Rivera 's dictatorship (January 1930) and the proclamation of the Republic (14 April 1931), the political and social situation in Spain was degrading day by day: revolts (military or civilian), street disturbances, revolutionary or counter-revolutionary attempts by either factions and so on
- Migration and Civil War. By Javier Rubio. Historian
- Resources on the Spanish Civil War in The New York Public Library
- Conlon Nancarrow
Abstract: Conlon Nancarrow, died in 1997. Modern American composer who fought in the Lincoln Brigade during the Spanish Civil War
- The Anarcho-Statists of Spain By B. Caplan, Dept. of Economics. George Mason University (USA). Includes notes, chronology and graphic material.
- Spanish Anarchism . History od the Spanish Anarchism. Text by professor Bryan Caplan
- The Anarcho-Statists of Spain .
- The Spanish Revolution & Civil War 1936-1939
Abstract: Material regarding the Spanish Civil War in general, and about Spanish Anarcho-Unionism in particular.
- CGT Anarcho-Unionism.
- Roberto Ortiz de Zarate's Political Collections.
Abstract: Composition of the Spanish Governments 1931-1999
- XXV Years without Franco,
Abstract: Special issue published on-line by El Mundo. El blanco y negro de las fotografías de hace un cuarto de siglo ha dejado paso al color. Y no sólo en el papel amarillento de las fotos. Porque la década de los 70 jamás logrará desprenderse de ese aire grisáceo que le otorga la memoria colectiva. Es bueno, de vez en cuando —aprovechando conmemoraciones y aniversarios, o simplemente repasando el álbum familiar— echar la vista atrás y recordar cómo éramos y cómo somos los españoles que vivimos el terremoto político y social que supuso la muerte de Franco y la posterior transición política. En este especial hacemos un repaso a algunos de los protagonistas y a los elementos cotidianos de la vida en los 70.
The Spanish transition from Franco to Democracy by Carlo Andreoli. Available at: http://vespito.net/historia/
This page attempts to offer a documented and contrasted vision of all the historical process that permitted the installation of the Democracy in Spain.
Contemporary Spanish Cultural History . Also at http://huizen.dds.nl/~jaoskam/indexes.htm
Abstract: As a result of the ambiguous character of Spain's transition to democracy, many of the effects --and responsibilities-- of cultural repression have remained concealed. This has led to mythifications and the appearance of «false heroes», but most of all, the cultural damage that Francoism caused is often underestimated or sometimes even ridiculed. The effectiveness and penetration of the Francoist control instruments was such, that by neglecting or ignoring them we would fail to understand the rise of opposition movements and, therefore, important aspects of today's culture. E-mail: J.A.OSKAM@Bigfoot.com
International Institute of Social History .
Abstract: Internationaal Instituut voor Social Geschiedenis Located in Amsterdam (Netherlands). Resources for the study of workers' movements around the world, including those in Spain.
Spanish Constitution . E-mail: email@example.com
Abstract: Aprobada por las Cortes en Sesiones Plenarias del Congreso de los Diputados y del Senado celebradas el 31 de Octubre de 1978 (full text)
Spanish constitution (include the 1992 revisions and some other laws)
Spanish Constitutional resources.
MEC. Spanish movies database.
Iberian Culture through photography. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Antonio Burgos' Homepage. E-mail:email@example.com.
Abstract: Half a century of Spanish history and traditions
Centres of European Documentation operating in Spain:
Biblioteca Europea (UCM) | CDE-Alicante | CDE-Autónoma de Madrid | CDE-Córdoba | CDE-Coruña | CDE-ESADE | CDE-Girona | CDE-Gránada | CDE-La Rioja | CDE.HTM CDE-Lleida | CDE-Navarra | CDE-Politécnica Madrid | CDE-Salamanca | CDE-San Pablo-CEU | CDE-Santiago | CDE-Sevilla | CDE-Univ. Aut. Barcelona | CDE-Univ. País Vasco | CDE-Valencia | CDE-Valladolid | Centre Balears Europa | Junta de Castilla y León-Europa | Red Vasca de Información Europea.
The Spanish History Index is made of different pages which are always under construction. You will find Virtual Resources produced in Spain together with world-wide Resources if they are dealing with the history of Spain.
The URL of this page is http://vlib.iue.it/hist-spain/cont-war-independence.html
The Spanish History Index is a joint project between the European University Institute's Library and the History & Civilisation Department
The Spanish History Index was created in 1995 by Inaki Lopez Martin and became part of the WWW-VL History Network in May 1999. The main index is now at
From May 2007, The Spanish Contemporary History Index is maintained at the EUI in Florence by Cristina Blanco Sio-López [Crisitina.Blanco.Sio-Lopez [at] eui.eu].
About the WWW VL and the WWW VL History Network
The World Wide Web Virtual Library History Central Catalogue is a collection of subject
related Websites maintained by institutions throughout the world, each
administering a different subject. For more
information on the History Network Project, go to [http://vlib.iue.it/history/about/about.html]
About the Maintainer
The page is managed by Cristina Blanco Sio-López [Crisitina.Blanco.Sio-Lopez [at] eui.eu]. researcher of the History and Civilization department at the European University Institute, Via dei Roccettini 9, I50016 San Domenico (FI),
Please direct your notices of new URL's or inoperative links to her via email here
Last Updated 24 July 2009