Wide Web Virtual Library (WWW-VL) central catalogue .
Main History Index and
Sites Maintainers .
the WWW-VL History Index Network.
University Institute's Library and History
& Civilisation Department Web Sites.
Russian History Index
Russian Institutions & Universities
Universities - Academic & Educational Organizations - Governmental Institutions -
Information Services - Non-Governmental Organizations
Gateways & Indexes
| Lists |
| Institutions & Societies
| Russian Institutions & Universities ]
[ Web Publications:
| Essays & Articles ]
Research Projects ]
Kievan and Pre-Kievan Russia |
Appanage Russia |
Muscovite Russia |
| Imperial Russia |
Soviet Union |
Russian Federation ]
Science & Technology |
| Russian Mass-Media
| Russian Search Engines
| Databases ]
- Altai State University (ASU) (Barnaul, Western Siberia): Altai State University provides training of specialists in natural sciences, in the humanities, in economics and in the social and political sciences.
- Central and Eastern European Research Database - Russian Federation contains a list of Universities as well as of other institutions of Higher Education and Research subdivided by region.
- European University of St.Petersburg: EUSP is a new non-governmental Higher Education institution and has 5 departments: History, Political Sciences and Sociology, Economics, Ethnology and Art History.
- Ivanovo State University: There are 8 departments. The University offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses for foreign students. In 1982 the Chair of Russian Language for Foreign Students was opened, where different types of courses are available now.
- Lomonosov Moscow State University (MGU): MGU is the oldest Russian University, and a leading centre of Russian education, science and culture. MGU comprises 21 departments, has its own Publishing House, Library and maintains extensive international links.
- Novosibirsk State University: NSU is one of the top three Russian universities training specialists for fundamental research and advanced skills. Novosibirsk State University, located in the center of Akademgorodok, is home to almost half the Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences. NSU participates in many international programs.
- People's Friendship University of Russia : Formerly People's Friendship University named after Patrice Lumumba, known first of all by the fact that the students from more than 100 countries of the world annually are enrolled to studies there. The University has rather large library collection and publishes its own magazine.
- Petrozavodsk State University (PetrSU): The Petrozavodsk State University is the largest educational institution in the European North of Russia (Karelia).The University has 12 departments and offers courses in Russian language, history, literature and other "russian studies" subjects to foreign students. The site is available in Russian, English and Finnish.
- RGGU- Rossijskij Gosudarstvennyj Gumanitarnyj Universitet: Russian State University of Humanities is an educational institution preparing specialists in all areas of knowledge in the Humanities. RGGU was created on the base of the Moscow State Institute for History and Archives. By the beginning of the 1990's, this institution has achieved an actual university level which naturally enabled it to become the organizational heart of the RGGU founded in 1991. Today, the RGGU, a young, dynamic and rapidly developing university, comprises nine institutes, eleven faculties, twenty scientific and teaching centers, eight scientific laboratories and fifty two departments, two schools.
- Tver State University: The site provides an information about the administration and the work of University, gives a link to the scientific library and videoconferences.
- Voronezh State University (VGU): The University has 17 departments. VSU provides a possibility to study for foreign students (undergraduate, PhD, Russian courses).
Academic & Educational Organisations
- List of Russian WWW servers: A good list of regional Russian servers and scientific organizations, provided by the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation: The site contains information about the different programmes of the Ministry as well as links to Russian institutions for Higher Education and schools (in Russian).
- Moscow Center for Gender Studies: As a non commercial NGO, founded in 1990 at the Institute of Social-Economic and Demographic problems of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Moscow Center for Gender Studies hosts seminars, research projects and stages. It also has a library with collection of publications on gender and human rights issues in Russian and foreign languages.
- Moscow Photo Academy: The site of educational institution comprises the information of courses, exams, news, a forum, etc.
- Center for History of Ideas of ST.Petersburg: Established by the Institute of Human Studies and the Institute for History of Science and Technology (both of the Russian Academy of Sciences) and the St Petersburg State University, the center has as a main task to foster international scholarship and researches in the history of the Russian ideas at the age of the Enlightenment. The site publishes the results of the Center's activities, mostly texts, many of them are in Russian - others are in English. The special attention is paid to the recent conferences and summer schools organized by the Center and our friends and collaborators.
- Nauka i obrazovanie Rossii: Very good list of Russian educational organizations, scientific centers, higher education institutions, administrative organisations, scientific journals, grants and international prorgams, as well as links to science-related sites subdivided by subject (in Russian).
- Panorama - Information and Research Center is an independent organization that focuses its research activities on the social sciences. From its inception, Panorama specialized in detailed reports on new political organizations and the views of their leaders. As a result, the editors today possess a large store of information on reform and civil society in the former Soviet Union. Among its over 100 publications are: Who's Who in Russian Politics (1993), Dictionary of Political Parties and Organizations in Russia (1992), Guide to Russian Parliament (1995, 1996) etc.
- PIR - Centre for Policy Studies in Russia: Moscow-based research and public education organization conducting studies related to Russian foreign and domestic policy. Provides overviews of publications and projects and electronic texts of newsletters and reports. The information is available in English and Russian.
- REDLINE: REDLINE is the Russian Educational Network. The site has a substancial amount of links to educational organizations in Russia and is available both in Russian and English.
- Russian Academy of Sciences (in Russian).
- Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR): RFBR is a self-governing State organization whose primary goal is to support the most promising research initiatives in all fields of fundamental science on the competitive basis, without any departmental restrictions.
- Foreign Governments Russia: List of Federation governments, information on Russian Federation regions and regional institutions together with statistics and news sources, provided by the Document Center of the University of Michigan.
- Institutions from the NUPI database of the Centre for Russian Studies. Contains information on over 150 of the most important State and social institutions (all ministries, state committees, the State Duma's and Federation Council's committees and research institutes).
- Ministry for Science and Technology of the Russian Federation (in Russian).
- INFOMAG: INFOMAG is a service wich has as a goal to promote electronically bibliographic and other scientific information, particulary table of contents of scientific journals, as well as foreign electronic bulletins.
- Informika - State Institute of Information and Technologies is a state institution for the advancement of the use of new information technologies in education and research in Russia. Among the most important resources: official information of the Ministry of Education, databases (legislation of the Russian Federation, Institutions of Higher Education ), conference announcements, grants, latest news. Both in English and in Russian.
- RIPN-Russian Institute for Public Networks (RosNIIROS): RIPN aims to develop computer communications in the interests of research and education, to promote research studies in the field of computer communications, to support research and education organizations in getting access to the Internet information resources via public networks.
- Jewish Heritage Society: The Jewish Heritage Society is an independent scholarly institution for the development and coordination of research in the history and culture of Jewish people in the Russian Empire and the USSR, and for documenting the Jewish historical legacy.
- Memorial: Memorial is an International historical-enlightment, human rights and humanitarian society. Memorial is a movement which arose in the years of perestroika. Its main task was the awakening and preservation of the societal memory of the severe political persecution in the recent past of the Soviet Union. Memorial is a community of dozens of organizations in different regions of Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Latvia, and Georgia. Memorial is a group of specialized research, human rights, and education centers in Moscow, St. Petersburg, and several other cities. Memorial has a museum, a repository of documents, and a number of specialized libraries. The site can be viewed in Russian, English and German.
- MEMORIAL, Krasnoiarsk: This is the site of the Krasnojarsk section of the society "MEMORIAL", dedicated to the more than 30,000 repressed people whose lifes were connected to Krasnojarsk. The site contains by now half of all collected documents but is constantly updated. It contains the memoirs of repression victims, lists of victims, documents, photographs, publications and gives a list of links to "Memorial" organizations in other regions.
[Return to the Top of the Page]
[Return to the Russian History Index ]
[WWW VL central catalogue]
[WWW VL Search Facility]
[WWW VL Main History Index
About the WWW VL History Index Network
EUI's Department of History and Civilisation
About the Russian History Index
The Russian History Index is made of different pages which are always under
construction. You will find Virtual Resources produced in Russia together with
world-wide Resources if they are dealing with the history of Russia.
The URL of this page is
The Russian History Index is a joint project between
SocietÓ Italiana per lo Studio della Storia Contemporanea
Web Site), the
European University Institute's Library
History & Civilisation Department
The Russian History Index was created in April 2000
About the WWW VL History Network
The World Wide Web Virtual Library is a collection of related Websites maintained by institutions throughout the world. For more information on the History Network Project, go to
About the Maintainers
The site is managed by Daria Khlestkina [email@example.com].
Please direct your notices of new
URL's or inoperative links to her here.
Natalia Kopelyanskaya (Cultural History)
Gijs Kessler (General Assistance)
Last updated the 09 of July 2001.