Wide Web Virtual Library (WWW-VL) central catalogue .
Main History Index and
Sites Maintainers .
the WWW-VL History Index Network.
University Institute's Library and History
& Civilisation Department Web Sites.
Russian History Index
Gateways & Indexes
| Lists |
| Institutions & Societies
| Russian Institutions & Universities |
[ Web Publications:
| Essays & Articles |
Research Projects ]
Kievan and Pre-Kievan Russia |
Appanage Russia |
Muscovite Russia |
| Imperial Russia |
Soviet Union |
Russian Federation ]
Science & Technology |
[ Other (Utilities):
| Russian Mass-Media
| Russian Search Engines
| Dictionnaries & Encyclopaedia
| Databases ]
- Architecture of Russia: This site deals with the history of Russian architecture, modern design and construction projects. It is adressed to architects, art-critics and those, who are interested in Russian culture.
- Art info : Russian Contemporary art. 7000 images.The main objective of the project is to conserve and make available to users worldwide Russia's cultural wealth and provide effective information support to contemporary Russian artists, art students, critics, chroniclers and as well as art lovers.
- Art Piter: Contemporary art and current culture events in St. Peterburg. Only Russian version.
- Between Two Worlds: S.Ansky at the Turn of the Century, an International Conference: Organized by faculty in History and Slavic Languages and Literatures, the conference will address the writings and the legacy of Shloyme-Zanvil Rappaport/Semyon Akimovich Ansky, an ethnographer, populist, and writer in Russian and Yiddish.
- Dazdbog's Grandchildren: This server was created by Sergei Naumov, a graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The server contains different materials relevant to Russia, particularly culturaly oriented subjects. You will find images, music and poetry here.
- Center for History of Ideas of ST.Petersburg: Established by the Institute of Human Studies and the Institute for History of Science and Technology (both of the Russian Academy of Sciences) and the St Petersburg State University, the center has as a main task to foster international scholarship and researches in the history of the Russian ideas at the age of the Enlightenment. The site publishes the results of the Center's activities, mostly texts, many of them are in Russian - others are in English. The special attention is paid to the recent conferences and summer schools organized by the Center and our friends and collaborators.
- Russian Art: A collection of pictures of Russian Artists, with an index of names.
- Russian Avant-Garde Art: George Costakis virtual gallery.
- Russian Crafts: This page is entirely dedicated to the folk tales of Russia and the Ukraine.
- Russian Culture: American guide over 700 sites, live chat, forums, hot news with Linda Delain.
- Russian Culture on the net:The special project "Culture on the Net" sponsored by the Open Society Institute - Saint Petersburg represents a vast collection of Internet resources on Russian culture.
- Russian Folklore Expedition: A project of the Institute of World Literature (Russian Academy of Sciences) aimed to collect varoius aspects of Russian folklore (songs, rituals, mithological stories, clothes etc) and divided bu regions.This is a project for people who enjoy folklore in its various manifestations: anecdotes, jokes, games, songs, and children folklore. Students of Slavic studies, Russian language, comparative literature, folklore, ethnography, anthropology, ethnomusicology, ethnopsychology, history and such fields will find this a perfect opportunity to enrich their horizons. This project will be interesting to sociologists also, because modern changes in present-day economic, political and social life of Russian villages reflect the global reorganization in the postcommunist Russian society. Lay people interested in observing and experiencing different cultures will also find this a most rewarding experience.
- Russian paintings: This Internet presentation of Russian Painting does not limit itself to posting reproductions of paintings alone but combines them with artists' biographies and with discussions of particular works, schools, movements, and styles. In addition, it provides bibliographical references and links to related sites.
- Russian Prison Tatoos: For those interested in the history of the Gulag, the body, and symbology. "It is not known when tattooing first became a common practice in Russian prisons and Stalinist Gulags. Soviet researchers first discovered and studied this underground activity in the 1920s; photographs of prisoners from that period suggest an already elaborate and highly developed subculture. More than simple decoration, the images symbolically proclaim the wearer's background and rank within the complex social system of the jailed."
- Songs of Russian Prisoners : Russian criminal culture became an essential integral part of the greater Russian culture. Here you can find not only the songs' lyrics, but also the literature on this subject.
- The State Russian Museum Art Library: The collections of the library includes all human sciences but the profile of the library-collection corresponds to that of the museum itself (Russian Art).
- Summer Literary Seminars of St. Peterburg links: A good collection of "cultural" links: paintings, films, artistical movements etc
- Traditional Russian Culture in Siberia:This is a joint project of Omsk State University and specialists of the Siberian culture center of Omsk. The project was supported by "Open Society Institute". The site comprises information not only on spiritual, but also on material culture and there is also bilingual glossary of local terms on traditional Russian culture used in texts of the site that are hard or impossible to translate in English.
Main Russian Museums
- The Hermitage:The State Hermitage museum site, powered by IBM.
- Museums of Russia: The gateway to the information about Russian museums, galleries and cultural websites.
- Moscow Kremlin:The official site of Moscow historical museum-preserve "Moscow Kremlin".
- Pavlovsk Palace:This is a superb palace and park ensemble of the late XVIII - beginning of the XIX centuries which was used as a summer residence of the Russian emperor Paul I and his family, situated neat St. Peterburg. The landscape park, one of the largest in Europe, covers the area of 600 ha. The works on the palace and park ensemble on the winding banks of the Slavianka river lasted for 50 years.
- Russian Museum: Very interesting bilingual site of the State Russian Museum in St. Peterburg. Here you can find useful information about museum and also get access to the museum library catalogue and activities
(The State Russian Museum Art Library: The collections of the library includes all human sciences but the profile of the library-collection corresponds to that of the museum itself.
- State Historical Museum (Moscow)
- Tretyakov Gallery: One of the main collection of Russian national art, located in Moscow.
- Tsarskoje Selo: The Tzarskoje Selo State Museum Reserve is a brilliant monument of world architecture and park and garden artistry of the 18th-20th centuries. A magnificent group of architects, sculptorsand painters brought the desires of their royal clients to fruition here. In Tzarskoje Selo the full range of artistic styles is represented, from the Baroque (in buildings by Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli) and Classical eras (buildings by Charles Cameron, Giacomo Quarenghi, Vasily Stasov and others). Imperial rulers from Catherine I to Nicholas II have left their mark.
- Virtual Museum of Russian Primitive: Fantastic example of virtual museum, the ingenious mixture of professionalism and sense of humour. Bilingual site which could be interested for general user as well as the professional one. It was nominated to National Intel Internet Prize.
- Izvestia photoagency collection: The most interesting photos of past and present, taken by the famous "Izvestia" photographers.
- Photographer.ru: Bilingual site on Russian Photography contains classic as well as contemporary works, exhibition announcemnts and chat forum. The goal is to promote Russian photography outside and inside Russia.
- Photophilia@Net Projects: Image collections of Russia. Photography, paintings.
- Russian Art Photo: The site shows you the present level of Moscow art photography.
- Russian Images: Selected photographs and photo series made by American photojournalist Edward Opp.
[Return to the Top of the Page]
[Return to the Russian History Index ]
[WWW VL central catalogue]
[WWW VL Search Facility]
[WWW VL Main History Index
About the WWW VL History Index Network
EUI's Department of History and Civilisation
About the Russian History Index
The Russian History Index is made of different pages which are always under
construction. You will find Virtual Resources produced in Russia together with
world-wide Resources if they are dealing with the history of Russia.
The URL of this page is
The Russian History Index is a joint project between
SocietÓ Italiana per lo Studio della Storia Contemporanea
Web Site), the
European University Institute's Library
History & Civilisation Department
The Russian History Index was created in April 2000
About the WWW VL History Network
The World Wide Web Virtual Library is a collection of related Websites maintained by institutions throughout the world. For more information on the History Network Project, go to
About the Maintainers
The site is managed by Daria Khlestkina [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Please direct your notices of new
URL's or inoperative links to her here.
Natalia Kopelyanskaya (Cultural History)
Gijs Kessler (General Assistance)
Last updated the 24of October 2001.